Main Attributes of OSiRIS
- Enables storage-integrated data lifecycle management possibilities.
- Provides a software-defined storage service for multi-institutional domains
- Built from inexpensive, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) components
- Robust, reliable infrastructure constructed to minimize single points of failure
- High performance by integrating high-bandwidth network links, a large number of disk spindles, large server memory and SSDs
- Built using open source software components allowing the project to customize specific components to provide required OSiRIS functionality
- Incorporates detailed monitoring of the infrastructure/network topology.
- Enables cloud infrastructures, e.g., OpenStack
- Collaborative storage for researchers/resources outside of our campuses
- Connected to the Internet at 10 to 100 Gbps
- Uses Globus Connect GridFTP-based Data Transfer Nodes (each at 2 x 25Gbps minimum) for wide-area data transfer